Monday, August 4, 2008

Bob Barker


Nah, you don't need to "come on down" for this Bob Barker. Let me introduce you to our Bob Barker. He is a bassett beagle mix that I adopted from the pound 2 and a half years ago. Oh yeah, he IS a dog. He is so precious and sweet that I have to share some of the things that God has taught me through him. I went to the pound to get this one dog that I had found on-line. When I got there she was a jumping jack and a barkin' fiend. She was very much a puppy. As I was filling out the paperwork to get her I looked at all the other animals in the cages that were looking for a home. Most all of them were barking, meowing or yelping in some way...all but one. He was a skin and bones black and white figure that just sat there and looked at me. His eyes were tired and as I approached him he leaned to the cage door as to absorb every last bit of my human touch. Now I have said this next bit before and gotten strange looks, but I have come to know God's voice pretty well in the last years and I believe with all my heart He was saying to me "Not that one, get this one." I walked away from the cage and continued on with the paper work. My heart and eyes were repeatedly drawn to the poor malnourished beast. As I was just about to sign my name for the overzealous barking wonder, the attendant said "Would you like to see Wiggles (Bob's old name)?" I responded with an almost relieved YES! I walked him through the store and KNEW that he was the one. So I went back to the office and changed all the paperwork. That started the process of bringing home our first family dog. We only found out later that he was on the the block to be euthanized. His name was given by Tori and to this day whenever we call his name around others we always get a chuckle. My whole purpose in introducing him was that God called me to this dog so that He could teach me more about Him. The first lesson that I learned is that while I looked undeserving, worn and malnourished of the things of heaven, God reached into my life and saved me from a fiery death. He saved me from my very self and a world that had consumed me. God showed me that He CHOSE me from the foundations of the earth and that I, in many ways like Bob Barker, longed for the touch from the master. The Father called me to Himself and in exhausted submission I leaned into Him and found a home, a friend and rest.

1 comment:

Lesley said...

Thank you for including me to read your blogs of your thoughts and feelings. Remember that I love u. Lesley