Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Battle to Submit


On November 1st we welcomed a new addition to our family. He is a Yorkshire Terrier who we lovingly named Pastor Phil after our own Pastor at First Baptist Church in Powell. He is an active little pup that has more energy in his sleep that I can muster up in a full day. He is a big ball of loose black curls. Poor little Pastor didn't realize that by moving into our home he was treading in someone else's territory. It wasn't 30 minutes into his first day that we soon realized that our Bassett/Beagle mix Bob Barker was not too fond of the intruder. This dog that had NEVER shown an ounce of aggression was now showing his teeth and deep throated rumblings were bellowing out of him. Pastor could not even come within a few feet before Bob gave his verbal warnings to stay away. I was told by others not to worry that he would soon adjust and they would become the best of friends. Two weeks past and Bob was as mean and ugly as he could be without devouring the little 8 week old in one large chomp. Pastor had pursued Bob with a determination that I have only seen from Olympians and middle aged women with no sense of conscience. The pup was persistent that he wanted to PLAY, PLAY,PLAY!!! Bob wouldn't begin to entertain the idea that this was now a 2 dog family. I was getting worried that we would have to return the gift of the puppy and find him a home that would allow him to be the playful pooper that he was designed to be. In total frustration of the matter, I lifted my eyes to the Lord. I prayed that moment for peace. The dogs had pushed me to my wits end and I knew that their Creator would be the only One that could offer me any solice. Not long after my plea for a cease of hostilities, something strange happened. Pastor approached Bob with yet another attempt to initiate sport. Bob gave him a stern bark and Pastor lie flat on his back, paws in the air and as still as the grave. Bob used this moment to push Pastor around the room like a dust mop (which was kinda nice) and examine every inch of the lesser with authority and dominion. As he gave an occasional grunt to the pup, I grew increasingly nervous. Pastor, however, remained placid. It was as if Bob were saying firmly, "I am the boss here! You are in MY house! You will follow MY rules and do as I say! Any rebellion of the previously mentioned will be reprimanded with your own discomfort! Be warned that I am in control here. I expect you to understand and abide accordingly." It was at that very moment that the Lord chose to speak to me and show me another lesson about Himself. He reminded me of a time that He said almost those words almost verbatim to me. He was assuring me that He was in control. My trying to take charge was not working. He included that if I abide with Him and in His word that I would no longer have to suffer on my own, but find a friend and shelter in Him. I am still amazed that God chose me to be His. That He found me worthy of his love and safety. I watched as He gave me a concrete example of our relationship in that of my dogs. I am in awe that He chooses me to give show such examples. I think it funny how he shares with me in ways that I can "get" like that of the beasts He has given me dominion over. Although Pastor Phil still gets on Bob's last nerve (I am sure that is not the case with God), they play, wrestle, and run every waking moment. I observe them joyfully and keep watch for the next moment that God uses to reveal Himself to me.

No comments: