Wednesday, January 7, 2009

God Loves Club Sandwiches

The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated! I have been MIA for the past few months busy with all the events that a mom can have. I have been journaling though and am looking forward to catching up over the next few days. The Christmas season went as quickly as it came. It was a whirlwind of activity and we have the scars to prove it. The one really big thing that stuck out this season was the awesome provision of our Heavenly Father. He showed us how to be thankful during Thanksgiving and then overwhelmed us with not only the gift of his Son but the gift of friends and an amazing church family. The story I am getting ready to share is just one of the many I will include over the next few days. It is so amazing how God cares about even the slightest of details.

Since October Patrick's business has been less than financially fruitful. It has caused a financial hardship that we have, at times, felt overwhelming. The one thread that has held us together is the love of God shown through our friends and church family. We looked forward to the Thanksgiving holiday as we always do. We go to Patrick's Mom and Dad's house for a pot luck dinner that includes several hours of family fun and fellowship. One great thing about the gathering is the abundance of leftovers. This year I was particularly looking forward to bringing home some extras due to our trying times. I had just spent MUCH less at the grocery store due to my tighter budget and was excited to get my yummy ham and turkey leftovers for our weekly club sandwiches following church on Sunday. The shocker came at the end of the long feast. NO LEFTOVERS REMAINED!!! I was disappointed, but we were so full from our dinner I couldn't help but be thankful for what we had consumed throughout the day. Sunday came and I had not really thought about the post church sandwiches of which I had nothing for. On the way home it dawned on me my dilemma. I informed the family that we would have to eat some waffles and with long sighs they reluctantly agreed. I could not help but think to myself how good a thick ham, turkey, and bacon filled club would be. I got home and was just about to don my raggedy T-shirt (for some reason I cannot throw that thing out) and a pair of comfy jammie bottoms. I had not even got off the first boot when the kids started screaming that someone was at the door. I jumped up to greet a dear girlfriend from church. She was divorced this year and her children had gone to spend Thanksgiving weekend with their dad. She had a small cooler of things that she said she felt the Lord laying on her heart to bring me. She told me of all the extra food she had at the house from her children's absence and that she had been instructed by God to bring it to me. I eagerly opened the cooler to find...YEP, you guessed it...turkey and honey baked ham. I turned to her with tear filled eyes and thanked her so much. As she left I could not contain myself. My Father loves me so much that He provided for my desire for our club sandwiches. That afternoon I prepared the thickest most decadent club sandwiches that our plates had ever seen. It was a honor to see that God doesn't spare us from all the blessings He can give. He is as concerned about the little things as much as I am. I now know that God hears even the slightest groanings of my heart and that maybe, just maybe God loves club sandwiches too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brandi, I love the story you just shared. God is so amazing and I love those special moments when he answers our prayers.

I have given you a blog award if you would like to accept it. Here is the link to my post.

http://thewoodrumcrew.blogspot.com/2009/01/when-life-hands-you-lemons.html

Tessa said...

Brandi

What a great uplifting story. I needed that as I struggle with the instability of Nathan's job. I remind myself to take it one day at time and look to all the examples of God's great provision. Thanks so much for providing such a powerful one! What an overwhelming blessing to be His child and know he takes care of us.